Live music, parades, baseball and family-fun mark July 4th in St. Pete/Clearwater
Friday, July 1, 2011
St. Pete/Clearwater, FL (July 1, 2011) - Bring a blanket, a picnic basket and your oohs and aahs as the St. Pete/Clearwater area celebrates Independence Day with a slew of family-friendly events spanning the area from Tarpon Springs to Gulfport.
No fewer than eleven spectacular pyrotechnic displays will dazzle crowds from the beach to the Bay, while strains of oldies, country and blues will provide a festive soundtrack.
Whether it's a patriotic parade in Safety Harbor, baseball in Dunedin and Clearwater or the Pops concert in Clearwater's Coachman Park, you're bound to find something to spark your interest.
Below is a quick rundown of just some of the action to be found this weekend in the St. Petersburg/Clearwater area.
For more complete details and links to specific sponsoring organizations, visit our events page on VisitStPeteClearwater.com.
* A Rockin' Red Glare (July 2-4) - Treasure Island's three-day Independence Day festival opens at 4 p.m. on Saturday, July 2, with summertime blues from the Single Malt Brothers Band. A variety of live musical acts will take the stage Sunday and Monday, followed by a fireworks show on the 4th at 9 p.m.
* Freedom Fest in Pinellas Park (July 3) - This free event will feature a fireworks spectacular, Family Fun Zone and live entertainment, along with a full array of food and craft vendors. The action kicks-off at Noon, with entertainment beginning at 2 p.m. in Town Square Park Plaza. Don't miss country superstar Darryl Worley perform live.
* Fireworks in Dunedin (July 3) - Cheer on the Dunedin Blue Jays when they take on the Daytona Cubs 4:00 p.m. at Dunedin's Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. Stick around for live music by the Greg Billings Band, children's activities and a fireworks finale. Admission is free!
* Fireworks at Bright House (July 3) - Swing over to Clearwater's Bright House Field and see the Threshers battle the Lakeland Flying Tigers. Following the game, enjoy a Fourth of July fireworks display.
* Tarpon Springs Picnic in the Park (July 4) - You'll find free hot dogs, drinks, entertainment, games and prizes at this old-fashioned picnic in Craig Park, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Kids should wear their swimsuits for the huge water slide.
* St. Pete Beach Fireworks (July 4) - Bring your blanket and a picnic basket and settle in for the evening to enjoy fireworks at the beach. Launched along the Gulf of Mexico from Upham Beach, the show begins at dusk.
* Madeira Beach Fireworks (July 4) - This explosive display will takes place at the recreation park next to the City Hall complex. Get there before dark for the best seating.
* Clearwater Celebrates America (July 4) - Spend the afternoon at beautiful Coachman Park with the Mostly Pops Orchestra with John and Mary K. Wilson at 7:30 p.m. A spectacular fireworks show will follow at 9:30 p.m. Food and beverage vendors and children's activities will also be available. Gates open at 4 p.m. and admission is free.
* Fourth of July Extravaganza at the St. Pete Pier (July 4) - A full day of family festivities are planned at the downtown St. Pete landmark. Beginning at 11:30 a.m., a collection of bands, performance dancers, face painters, caricature artists and more, provide the entertainment before a booming fireworks show at 9 p.m.
* Largo Fourth of July Celebration (July 4) - The celebration begins in Largo's Central Park at 6 p.m. where food, entertainment, activities for kids and a fireworks display are on tap.
* Get to Gulfport (July 4) - A fishing derby begins at 10 a.m., followed by a sand sculpture contest and an auto show in the Waterfront Arts District. Live music, food, arts and craft vendors, a parade and fireworks cap off the all-day affair.
* Safety Harbor Celebration (July 4) - Wear your red, white and blue as the American Legion Auxiliary hosts a patriotic parade down Main Street, beginning at 10 a.m. from 5 to 9 p.m., the evening celebration at the Marina features children's activities, live entertainment, food vendors, fireworks and family fun.
Visit St. Pete/Clearwater is the destination marketing organization for Pinellas County, Florida.
Connect with VSPC on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
For more information: VisitStPeteClearwater.com
Contact: Public Relations Manager Josh Hall: Josh@VisitSPC.com
# # #