From block parties to beach movies, holiday festivities abound in St. Pete/Clearwater
Friday, September 2, 2011
St. Pete/Clearwater, FL (September 2, 2011) - Labor Day might be considered the end of summer in some parts of the country, but not in St. Pete/Clearwater. The non-stop action continues throughout the fall, starting this weekend with a slew of Labor Day events sure to please every taste.
Chief among the holiday festivities is the 11th annual Gulfport Gecko Fest, which returns this Saturday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. along historic Gulfport's Beach Boulevard. The waterfront community's whimsical and colorful salute to the gecko features strolling street performers, live music, a parade and over 200 vendors peddling food, drinks and wares.
Parking and admission to Gecko Fest is free. For more information, please visit www.geckofest.com.
And for those who prefer to celebrate without reptiles, here's a rundown of some of the other action to be found this weekend in the St. Pete/Clearwater area:
* View the USS Independence - The 418-foot naval warship will be docked at the Port of St. Petersburg, beginning today, September 2. Tickets to tour the vessel are sold out, but you can still see it by land in downtown St. Pete.
* Labor Day Weekend Celebration at the Pier - An action-packed weekend is on tap at the Pier with happy hour specials, live music, Suncoast Corvette Association show, paddle social and salsa celebration. www.stpete-pier.com
* Shephard's Old Skool Labor Day Weekend - Legendary hip-hop acts Slick Rick and Coolio will perform Sunday at the Shephard's Beach Resort on Clearwater Beach. The weekend long celebration will have live entertainment and dancing. www.shephards.com
* St. Pete's First Friday - Get downtown and kickstart your holiday weekend with this St. Pete block party. Enjoy live music by The Tempests, food and drinks on Central Avenue, between 2nd and 3rd Streets. Festivities begin at 5:30 pm. http://firstfridaystpete.com
* Gulfport ArtWalk - Beginning at 6 p.m. on Friday, peruse the works of more than 50 artists and crafters at this regular event in the quaint community of Gulfport. A 90-minute ArtWalk cruise will leave the marina at 7 p.m. http://gulfportflorida.us/gulfport-art-walk.
* Sunset Cinema at Pier 60 - It's a double feature with movies on Saturday and Sunday at 8 p.m. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs and plop down right on Clearwater Beach. http://www.sunsetsatpier60.com/
* Celebrate Oldsmar - On Saturday, beginning at 5 p.m., visit R.E. Olds Park for kids activities including fireworks, pony rides, live music and train rides. http://www.myoldsmar.com/Pages/Docs/Celebrate%20Oldsmar.pdf
Visit St. Pete/Clearwater is the destination marketing organization for Pinellas County, Florida.
Connect with VSPC on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
For more information: VisitStPeteClearwater.com
Contact: Public Relations Manager Josh Hall: Josh@VisitSPC.com
# # #