Geckos, Rappers, Skimboarders and Beach Boys Highlight Holiday Happenings
Thursday, September 3, 2009
St. Pete/Clearwater, FL (September 3, 2009) – It’s o-FISH-al: the St. Pete/Clearwater area offers visitors activities both weird and wonderful to celebrate Labor Day weekend.
Chief among the festivities is the 9th annual Gulfport Gecko Fest, which returns this Saturday from Noon–10 pm along historic Gulfport’s Beach Boulevard. The waterfront community’s whimsical salute to the gecko features strolling performers, live music, a parade and over 190 vendors peddling food, drinks and wares. There’s fun for Fido, too, since prizes will be awarded for the best adult, child and pet costumes.
Parking and admission to Gecko Fest is free and proceeds from the event will benefit the St. Petersburg Aids Walk. For more information, please visit www.geckofest.com.
For those who prefer to celebrate without reptiles, here’s a rundown of the rest of the Labor Day action in the St. Pete/Clearwater area:
• Treasure Island’s Beach Blast – Saturday's free event behind the Bilmar Beach Resort will feature a skimboard competition, kids' sand sculpting contest, Hawaiian war canoes and dancers. Live music from 4-10 pm and fireworks at 9 pm. Admission is free. Park on the beach for $10. www.treasureislandchamber.com
• Shephard’s Old Skool Labor Day Weekend – Legendary rappers Vanilla Ice and Rob Base will appear at the resort on Clearwater Beach on Sunday from 10 pm-close. The weekend long celebration will have live entertainment all day and night, graffiti artists and break dancers. www.oldskoolweekend.com
• St. Pete Beach Labor Day Fireworks – Join the Tampa Bay Beaches Chamber of Commerce Sunday on St. Pete Beach for a special Labor Day fireworks display behind the TradeWinds Island Grand Resort. Fireworks begin shortly after dusk.
• Celebrate Oldsmar – On Saturday, beginning at 5 pm, visit R.E. Olds Park for kids activities including fireworks, pony rides, live music and carnival rides. For more information, call 813-749-1260.
• Beach Boys at the Trop – The reigning American League Champion Tampa Bay Rays welcome in the Detroit Tigers Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Tropicana Field. After Saturday’s game, the iconic Beach Boys surf into the Trop for the Summer Concert Series finale. www.raysbaseball.com
• Party at the Pier – The Suncoast Corvette Show kicks off Saturday’s events at the St. Pete Pier, 11 am-4 pm. From noon-2 pm, celebrate all the fascinating fish of Tampa Bay with the Pier’s FISH-ful Saturday. The Fritzy Brothers One Man Circus and face painter Joanne Cote will also appear on Saturday. www.stpetepier.com
Visit St. Pete/Clearwater is the destination marketing organization for Pinellas County, Florida.
Become a fan of VSPC on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
For more information: www.VisitStPeteClearwater.com
Contact: CVB Assistant Director David Downing: David@VisitSPC.com
# # #