Frightening family-friendly activities abound in the St. Pete/Clearwater area
Friday, October 30, 2009
St. Pete/Clearwater, FL (October 30, 2009) – The St. Pete/Clearwater area will be visited by more than just travelers in search of a beach vacation this weekend.
With a number of spooky Halloween events on tap, you can expect an appearance from an assortment of things that go bump in the night.
So whether it’s Innisbrook Resort and Golf Club’s Haunted Hollow, complete with haunted waterslides, or Weedon Island’s Weedon-ween, featuring vampire bats and giant spiders, you’re bound to feed your Halloween fix---and we don’t mean candy.
Below is a quick rundown of just some of the events to be found this weekend in the St. Pete/Clearwater area:
• Spooktacular and Family Astronomy Night - On Friday from 6 to 9 p.m., the Science Center of Pinellas County presents a spooky evening featuring bug shows, alligator shows, telescope viewing, planetarium shows and a best consume contest. Pizza and soda available for purchase. http://www.sciencecenterofpinellas.org
• Innisbrook Haunted Hollow - Innisbrook Resort will transform its famous Loch Ness Monster pool into a Halloween wonderland at the stroke of 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Spooktakular activities include: haunted hollow trail, pool side "dive-in" movie, haunted waterslides, "bootiful" crafts and activities, glow-in-the dark night golf and costume contest for kids 12 and under. Advance family pass purchase required. $30 for up to 4 people. http://www.innisbrookgolfresort.com
• Halloween Spooktacular - For kids 13 and under, the Countryside Recreation Center will have carnival games, special arts and crafts projects, trick or treating and a Trail of Terror (which may be too intense for children 6 and under) on Friday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. The event is free. http://www.awesomeclearwater.com/clearwater-events.html
• Geckoween - Gulfport brings you this fabulous dance and costume contest Friday from 7:30 to 11:30 p.m. at the Gulfport Casino. A live DJ will provide music for dancing and entertainment and light snacks and a cash bar will be available. Other activities will include a silent auction, a costume contest with prizes, opportunity drawings and a 50/50 chance contest. Tickets at the door will be $10 for those in costume or $12 for non-costumed attendees. http://www.gulfportma.com
• John’s Pass Shop of Horrors - Have a ghoulish time as the guides of the —Shop of Horrors” take you through the —Haunted Trail” where there will be surprises and haunts around every corner. The Trail will be youngster friendly before 7 p.m. but will turn to more mature audiences after that time. Admission is $3 for children and $7 for adults. Open October 30-31 from 6 to 10 p.m. and November 1 from 6 to 9 p.m. http://www.johnspassfestivals.com
• Witchstock - Downtown Palm Harbor hosts Witchstock, where Woodstock and Halloween meet! From noon to midnight on Saturday, this free family-friendly event will have live music, psychic readings, costume contests and more. http://www.witchstock.com
• Creepy Creatures at Weedon Island and Brooker Creek Preserve - Vampire bats, giant spiders, ghostly owls and slithering snakes are some of Halloween’s most frightening characters. Join the staff on Saturday from 2 to 3 p.m. for this fun and interactive program to learn the truth about these and many other creepy creatures. Pre-registration is required. Admission is free. Recommended for families with children 6 years old or older. Call 727-453-6500 to register for the event in St. Petersburg (Weedon Island) or call 727-453-6800 to register for the event in Tarpon Springs (Brooker Creek Preserve).
• Threshers Boo Bash - On Saturday from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., head up to Clearwater’s Bright House Field for Boo Bash 2009. Enjoy free entry, free candy, a haunted house, hayrides and inflatable games. http://www.clearwaterthreshers.com
• Halloween Howl Party - The Safety Harbor Resort and Spa & Coconuts Comedy Club are hosting the First Annual Halloween Howl Party at the Safety Harbor Resort and Spa, Saturday at 7:30 p.m. Door prizes and dollar spa gift certificates for the best costumes. Admission is $15.00 per person, which includes a free drink ticket. http://www.safetyharborresort.com
• Masquerade Party - Shake your skeleton and rattle your chains at the Don CeSar Beach Resort’s free party on the Sunsets’ Lounge, Saturday from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Live music provided by The Venturas. Costumes are encouraged! http://www.doncesar.com
Visit St. Pete/Clearwater is the destination marketing organization for Pinellas County, Florida.
Become a fan of VSPC on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
For more information: www.VisitStPeteClearwater.com
Contact: CVB Assistant Director David Downing: David@VisitSPC.com
# # #